If you always want to sell stickers on Etsy but have no clue where to begin, you are in the right place!
However, like most people, lack of budget is the number cause that stops you from starting your own Etsy sticker shop
But worry not, in this post I have gathered some info that will help you kick-start your Etsy business by selling stickers
*This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you make a purchase after clicking on a link I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. Hope you find the information here useful!
HOW TO SELL STICKERS ON ETSY
Short of time and want to create your planner stickers, guided by THE STICKER EXPERT, directly? You can join the Making Planner Stickers class, by Creative Fabrica and print your digital sticker design like a Pro! Pssstt.. you will get a clipart set ready to download from this session!
1. Pick a niche that makes you stand out from the rest
There are a lot of stickers out there. Can I still make money by selling stickers?
Yes, if you pick the right niche.
Niche is the appeal or specialization to a certain group of people
You can’t sell to everyone at the beginning. Imagine selling your sticker for only 1 person. That can be your niche
Find something that interests you and makes you excited in the process of creating it
The niche can be a hobby like a motorbike, or maybe for a cause like women’s rights or maybe even an identity like being Asian or Harry Potter fan. It can be anything.
Tips: Look at the best seller or popular now. This is like a clue telling you that these are what people looking for. This is the trend. Look at the font at the element to create something better out of it ( Do not copy exactly other people’s designs!)
If you are not sure where to begin or what stickers you want to create, Start with the one you think you will definitely buy as a customer
For example, if you are into journalling or even bullet journals but don’t have time to decorate it but you love aesthetic-looking journals, you can start with that. Create stickers to decorate your empty journals.
Or if you are a mom and sick of the cluttered mess in your pantry, maybe it’s time to organize and print a label for each spice and container. And of course, you need label stickers.Or if you have some of your art or doodles you have created in Procreate for fun, add the outline and turn it into stickers.
Try to sell for one person first. That is yourself
When you think about it this way, it will lessen the friction of not starting because you are still not sure about your niche or the type of stickers you want for your business. Other than niches, you also have to decide beforehand the type of stickers you are about to create to sell on Etsy
Type of stickers to sell on Etsy
- Product stickers
- Label stickers
- Clear stickers
- Die cut stickers
- Bumper stickers
- Custom stickers
2. Do Search engine optimization for Etsy (SEO)
Search engine optimization is key for this sticker business. No matter how pretty your design is, it still needs to appear when people search for it.
As a customer of Etsy, you probably noticed how you search for certain things before purchasing the item, this is called search intent. So play around at the Etsy search bar to find the right keyword or potential stickers idea based on your niches
However, the Etsy search bar is not exactly the best tool for finding the best keyword or identifying the design gap. You might need the keyword research tool that will spit out the information needed on your niches.
Etsy Keyword tools
The key here is to find the sticker design that people search for a lot but there is a limited option. In other words, when you use the keyword tool, find those with high volume and less competition.
So, by doing this step, you can create designs that can stand out among the crowd and create stickers that people actually want to buy!
When using the keyword tool, target for high volume & low competition keywords
If you already know the niches and the keyword that you are about to target, the next step is to find the long-tail keyword
What is the long tail keyword?
The long tail keyword is the longer and more specific phrase that users use when searching for the item when they know exactly what they are looking for. At this point in time, the customer is close to purchasing the item.
So, by targeting this long-tail keyword, you can attract the customer with high buying intent. The outcome in this type of customer is almost always purchasing the item.
This is the type of customer that you want. Those who want to buy your stickers. So make their journey easy by providing what they are searching for.
For example, if the keyword you are interested in is the personal label.To make it more specific, find the long tail keyword like the personal label for kid’s stuff
The problem some parents faced is the issue with their kid’s sippy cups or maybe shirts that get exchanged in the kiddy care. You provide the solution by creating cute label stickers for them
- Keyword: Personal label
- Long tail keyword: Personal label for kid’s bag
Now, you can try typing the long tail keywords with high volume and less competition SEO below:
3. Create and design high-quality stickers to sell on Etsy
Learn how to create planner stickers with this easy-to-follow class by Creative Fabrica. You’ll be guided on how to do the offset and cut features that help you to create pro-looking planner stickers. Join the session and start earning from your planner sticker business today!
There are a few programs or apps you can use to create the stickers. You can try a few to find what you are most comfortable with
If you don’t have the gadget yet, worry not, as you can always draw manually and scan the picture. Of course, the quality is not up to par with those printed stickers. But if you are on a budget, you can kickstart your sticker business with this method
- Determine your sticker niche or theme based on your target audience and market research.
- Design unique and appealing sticker designs using graphic design software or tools like Adobe Illustrator, Canva, or Procreate.
- Ensure your sticker designs are high-quality and print-ready with proper dimensions and resolution.
Now you have designed your sticker, the next step is to sell it on Etsy!
4. Create your Etsy sticker store
If you want to start your Etsy store, I have 40 free listings, equivalent to $8 that you can use to kickstart your business! Click here to claim your free listings and I will get mine as well. So thank you!
Creating your Etsy store just takes 15 minutes, top. Let me show you how to do it, step by step
- Log in to your Etsy business account. If you are new, click here to create your Etsy account
- The first step is to name your shop. Your shop is your brand. So choose an interesting name that can leave an impression on your customer
- The next step is to start listing your product. In this case, is the sticker. To create a listing you need to provide: Image, Title, Quantities, Product description, Shipping information and of course the price of the item. If you are unsure how to do this, you can always go to the top seller page and replicate with modification what they have on their page. This step is crucial as it determined whether the customer is able to find your listing and actually purchase the item
- If you didn’t have any product to list, you can create a ‘dummy listing’ while you working on it.
- Payment & billing: The listing fee is $ 0.20 and the transaction fee is 6.5% of the total item purchased (as of October 2022) with transaction fees of 3-4.5% depending on the country. To learn more about Etsy fees click here.
5. Sell your stickers on Etsy
This is probably the most technical part of selling your stickers on Etsy
Based on your budget and existing equipment, there are 4 ways to approach this step
- Selling digital stickers instead of physical stickers
- Using print-on-demand service
- Outsource the sticker printing
- Print your own stickers
#1 Selling digital stickers instead of physical stickers on Etsy
This is probably the lowest cost of stickers you can start selling on Etsy
Of course, the market is way different compared to selling physical stickers, but this is the best place to start if you have no budget and want to familiarize yourself with the stickers business on Etsy
The target market for digital stickers is mainly to cater the digital planner or journal user. Since it is digital stickers, you take some weight off and don’t have to think about printing, shipping, or storing the stickers.
The customer will purchase and directly download your stickers so it is really easy for beginners and needs minimal to zero cost in creating this digital sticker business on Etsy ( it is not entirely zero cost as you still need to pay for Etsy listing)
Similar to digital download, selling digital stickers on Etsy have its own merit
- How to sell digital products on Etsy this 2022
- 39 best digital products to sell on Etsy (2022)
- Create Digital Sticker With These 7 Best Programs Or Apps
Advantages of digital stickers vs physical stickers to sell on Etsy
- zero to low-cost budget
- don’t have to think about shipping and storing like the physical stickers
- Create only 1 time and can sell it as long or as much as you want. Suitable for busy people
Disadvantages of digital stickers
- the profit margin is not as huge as the physical stickers
- didn’t get the feel of starting a real business as all items are digitalised
- People can steal your design
#2 Use print-on-demand service (POD)
If you want more of a hands-off approach but still want to sell digital stickers on Etsy, using a print-on-demand service is the answer.
By using POD, you remove the hassle of printing and shipping the stickers, which well suits the beginner with a lack of equipment and resource
There are a few POD services you can use for your sticker business on Etsy
Print-on-demand service for stickers
Printify is an example of a POD service. So, how does it work?
- Upload the design in Printify
- Link the Printify account with your Etsy business account
- Choose the sticker format that you want
- Choose the material, shape and function of the stickers you have created
- Finalize the sticker design and add the listing and pricing details
So whenever customers choose the design, they will arrange the printing and shipping directly to them, you don’t have to worry at all!!
Here are the sticker mockup examples that I created with Printify:
Advantage of POD for selling stickers on Etsy
- Hassle-free and the work required mainly on creating the design
- No minimum order
- They will ship along with your brand label so you don’t have to worry about the packaging
- Could work as a trial on which your sticker designs are the crowd favourite so you can print them on your own ( Test the market)
- You can use the same design for Tshirt, mugs, etc
Disadvantage of POD
- The cost is on the higher side so the profit margin might become lower
- You cant add the personalized touch to your packaging before shipping the stickers
#3 Outsource to a sticker printing partner
Another option for a hands-free approach is by using a sticker printing partner. This is another example if you are not ready to buy the tools for creating stickers on your own
So how does it work?
- Similar like POD, you outsource the printing part to them
- They will print based on the bulk order, quality, and materials of the stickers that you want
- They will ship it right back to you
- You will do the shipping to your customers
Advantages of using a sticker printing partner
- You don’t have to buy expensive tools if you are just about to start
- The quality of the stickers is great as they use specialized tools and are experienced in printing stickers
- Same to POD, you can use a sticker printing partner to ‘test the water’; see which design gets higher demand and you can always print it on your own later as you get familiar with the business
Disadvantages of using a sticker printing partner
- You need some budget upfront as you need to order in bulk
- The cost is higher compared to printing it on your own
Some Sticker printing partners you can try
Stickers Printing partners
Sometimes, they will have discounts and promos, so do check and compare the prices before deciding which sticker partner you want to use. But bear in mind, the quality of the stickers varies, so survey and read the review before using their service
#4 Print your own stickers to sell on Etsy
If you have the budget and are serious about the business, then printing your own stickers is the best bet!
Of course, you don’t have to buy all the tools at the same time. You can buy what is important first and add on other stuff later
So what’s the tool needed to print your own stickers?
The most important thing is the printer. This determined the quality outcome of your stickers. And you need a printer that is compatible with the type of paper you are going to use
As a start, you can try using whatever printer you have at home to check the quality of the stickers. If you are satisfied with it, you don’t have to purchase a new printer
But, if you want to buy a printer, here are some of the great options used to print the stickers
#2 Sticker cutting machine
If you have little budget, you have to cut the stickers on your own by using a knife or scissors. I know it’s not exactly productive in a long run, but to keep the cost low at the beginning, you have to trade your effort and time.
Once you have some profit, then you can invest in the sticker-cutting machine. The most popular of course the silhouette and the Cricut machine
You can read the review and discussions in Facebook groups or forums to get an idea on how well these machine function.
#3 Sticker sheets
What type of stickers are you going to create?
Is it vinyl matte, matte or glossy sticker sheets?
Have an idea of what type of sticker you are about to create and buy the correct sticker sheet
#4 Packaging and shipping stuff
Can you imagine getting excited waiting for the stickers you order and ending up receiving dented, scratched and the colour of stickers ruined by the water?
NOT FUN! And most probably you will not order from the same shop again, right?
Keeping this in mind, packing and shipping your stickers is equally important as creating and printing the stickers
Use a more rigid mailer to prevent dented and maybe keep the stickers in plastic the make them more waterproof. Other things like tissue paper can add extra protection to your creation
#5 Business card
Little something extra as part of your promotion. You can insert a discount card and maybe a loyalty card to keep the customer ordering from your shop.
#6 Shipping label
Another thing to consider in selling stickers on Etsy is the shipping label. This is essential!
The easiest option is to print the shipping label and personally cut and seal it on the envelope one by one. It is do-able for the beginner or when you are just about to start because the order is not much
But when your sticker shop starts hitting it off and you have tonnes of orders, do consider purchasing the thermal printer for a shipping label
Here are the 2 most commonly used shipping label printer
- Rollo printer
6. Set Pricing
- Calculate your sticker production costs, including printing, materials, and packaging.
- Determine your desired profit margin and set competitive yet profitable prices for your stickers.
- Consider offering bundle deals or discounts for multiple sticker purchases to incentivize customers.
7. Create Engaging Product Listings
- Take high-quality, well-lit photographs of your stickers.
- Showcase different angles and close-ups to highlight the design details.
- Write detailed and informative product descriptions, including dimensions, material quality, and any special features of your stickers.
- Optimize your product titles, tags, and descriptions with relevant keywords to improve search visibility on Etsy.
8. Packaging and Shipping
*this will depend on whether you print your own sticker or outsource it to a third party.
- Select suitable packaging materials that protect your stickers during transit, such as rigid mailers or clear plastic sleeves.
- Calculate accurate shipping costs based on the weight and size of your stickers and your customers’ locations.
- Consider offering options for tracked shipping or expedited shipping for customers who prefer faster delivery.
9. Provide Excellent Customer Service
- Respond promptly to customer inquiries and messages.
- Offer friendly and helpful assistance throughout the purchasing process.
- Package and ship orders promptly to ensure timely delivery.
- Enclose a thank-you note or a small extra freebie as a gesture of appreciation.
10. Promote Your Stickers
Utilize social media platforms like Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook to showcase your sticker designs and attract potential customers.
Collaborate with influencers or bloggers in relevant niches to reach a wider audience.
Participate in Etsy promotions, sales events, or collaborations to boost your visibility on the platform.
Regularly monitor your shop’s performance, analyze customer feedback, and adapt your sticker offerings based on market trends and customer preferences. Providing unique designs, exceptional customer service, and actively promoting your stickers will help you establish a successful presence and drive sales on Etsy.
Extra Tips To Sell Stickers on Etsy
- If you’re a student and have little budget, maybe you can start with the digital sticker first
- Once you get the consistency of creating your art and product, you can use the profit to embark on your physical sticker business
- Be active on Etsy
- Bundling the listing.
- Review-Try to answer any query or message within 24hrs. You can even ask them whether they have received the item
Unique sticker niches to sell on Etsy
If you’re looking for unique sticker niches to sell on Etsy, here are a few creative ideas to consider:
- Planner and Journal Stickers: Create stickers specifically designed for planners and journals, such as decorative elements, habit trackers, goal-setting stickers, motivational quotes, and functional stickers for tracking tasks, events, and appointments.
- Vinyl Laptop and Tech Stickers: Design stickers that cater to laptop users and tech enthusiasts. Consider creating stylish decals, pop culture references, geek-themed stickers, or personalized laptop skin stickers.
- Plant and Nature Stickers: Appeal to nature lovers and plant enthusiasts with stickers featuring botanical illustrations, succulents, flowers, leaves, and garden-related designs. Offer unique plant identification stickers or incorporate eco-friendly messaging.
- Food and Beverage Stickers: Capture the love for food and drinks by creating stickers inspired by culinary delights, coffee, tea, cocktails, desserts, fruits, vegetables, and popular food-related illustrations or puns.
- Pet and Animal Stickers: Target pet owners and animal lovers with stickers featuring cute illustrations of pets, animal breeds, paw prints, animal-themed puns, or specific pet-related accessories and items.
- Inspirational and Motivational Stickers: Create stickers with uplifting quotes, affirmations, motivational words, or empowering messages to inspire and motivate individuals in their daily lives.
- Travel and Adventure Stickers: Appeal to wanderlust and travel enthusiasts by designing stickers featuring landmarks, maps, suitcases, globes, travel quotes, or vacation-themed illustrations.
- Retro and Vintage Stickers: Offer a nostalgic touch with stickers that showcase retro designs, vintage graphics, old-school icons, vintage advertisements, or vintage-inspired typography.
- Seasonal: Thanksgiving, Halloween, Christmas
- For small business owners: Product label
- Label items: Organization label, Personal label, Inspirational quotes
Remember to research the market and trends within your chosen niche, ensuring that your designs stand out and cater to a specific audience. High-quality designs, unique concepts, and attention to detail can help differentiate your sticker offerings and attract customers on Etsy.
Popular print-on-demand service to sell stickers on Etsy
Here are some popular print-on-demand services that you can use to sell stickers on Etsy, along with their pros, cons, and fees:
Pros: Wide range of sticker options, including die-cut, kiss-cut, and clear stickers. Integration with Etsy for easy order fulfilment. Automated printing, packaging, and shipping. No upfront costs or inventory management.
Cons: Sticker pricing may be higher compared to bulk printing. Limited customization options for sticker materials.
Fees: Free to use. Sticker pricing varies based on size, shape, and quantity.
Pros: Offers a variety of sticker types, shapes, and sizes. Integrates with Etsy seamlessly. Large network of printing partners for fast and reliable fulfilment. No upfront costs or inventory management.
Cons: Limited customization options for sticker materials. Pricing may vary across printing partners.
Fees: Free to use. Sticker pricing depends on the printing partner and specifications.
Pros: Wide selection of sticker types, including vinyl, die-cut, and holographic. Integration with Etsy for streamlined order processing. Automated fulfilment and shipping. No upfront costs or inventory management.
Cons: Limited customization options for sticker materials. Pricing may be slightly higher compared to bulk printing.
Fees: Free to use. Sticker pricing varies based on size, shape, and quantity.
4. Sticker Mule
Pros: Known for high-quality stickers. Offers a variety of sticker types, finishes, and shapes. Easy integration with Etsy. Quick turnaround time. Ability to order samples before listing on Etsy.
Cons: Higher pricing compared to other print-on-demand services. Limited customization options.
Fees: Pricing varies based on sticker type, size, and quantity.
Pros: Large marketplace for artists and designers. Wide variety of sticker types, including die-cut, transparent, and glossy. Easy integration with Etsy. Provides a built-in audience and potential for organic sales.
Cons: Lower profit margins due to marketplace fees. Limited control over pricing.
Fees: No upfront costs. Redbubble takes a commission on each sale.
Pros: Customizable stickers with a range of design options. Integration with Etsy for convenient order processing. Offers a variety of sticker types and finishes. Ability to set your own royalty rates.
Cons: Lower profit margins due to marketplace fees. Limited control over pricing and production.
Fees: No upfront costs. Zazzle takes a commission on each sale.
Each print-on-demand service may have different features and pricing structures, so it’s essential to review their websites for the most up-to-date information.
Consider factors such as sticker options, customization capabilities, integration with Etsy, fulfilment efficiency, pricing, and customer reviews when choosing the right service for your sticker business on Etsy.
How to make money selling stickers on Etsy?
1.Unique and High-Quality Designs
Create sticker designs that stand out from the competition. Focus on originality, creativity, and quality. Pay attention to details, colours, and overall aesthetics to make your stickers visually appealing.
2. Niche Targeting
Identify and target specific sticker niches or themes. Cater to specific interests, hobbies, or audiences to attract customers who are passionate about those topics. This can help differentiate your shop and attract a loyal customer base.
3. Variety and Customization
Offer a variety of sticker types, sizes, shapes, and finishes to cater to different preferences. Consider offering customizable options where customers can personalize text, colors, or elements to create unique stickers.
4. Clear and Attractive Product Photography
Use high-quality and well-lit product photos to showcase your stickers. Show different angles, close-ups, and applications to give customers a clear idea of what they can expect. Use attractive backgrounds and props if it aligns with your brand.
5. SEO Optimization
Optimize your Etsy listing titles, tags, and descriptions with relevant keywords. Research popular search terms and incorporate them naturally into your listings. This will improve your visibility in Etsy’s search results and attract more potential buyers.
6. Engaging Descriptions
Write compelling and detailed product descriptions. Highlight the features, materials, and any unique aspects of your stickers. Use descriptive language to evoke emotions and help customers envision using your stickers.
7. Competitive Pricing
Research the market and competitors to set competitive yet profitable prices for your stickers. Consider factors such as production costs, materials, and your target audience’s budget. Offering bundle deals or discounts for multiple purchases can incentivize customers.
8. Professional Packaging
Invest in professional and appealing packaging for your stickers. Use protective sleeves, backing cards, or rigid mailers to ensure your stickers arrive in excellent condition. Consider adding a branded touch, such as a thank-you note or a small extra freebie.
9. Stellar Customer Service
Provide exceptional customer service at every step. Respond promptly to inquiries and messages. Be friendly, helpful, and professional. Resolve any issues or concerns promptly to ensure a positive buying experience.
10. Marketing and Promotion
Utilize social media platforms, such as Instagram, Pinterest, and Facebook, to showcase your sticker designs and engage with potential customers. Collaborate with influencers or participate in relevant online communities to increase visibility. Consider running promotions or offering exclusive discounts to attract customers.
Remember, building a successful sticker business takes time and effort. Continuously monitor your shop’s performance, analyze customer feedback, and adapt your strategies accordingly. Stay active, consistent, and focused on delivering high-quality stickers and excellent customer service to create a loyal customer base and grow your Etsy sales.
FAQ On Sell Stickers On Etsy
Q: How do I start selling stickers on Etsy?
A: To start selling stickers on Etsy, you need to create an Etsy seller account, set up your shop, design your stickers, and create engaging product listings. Ensure your stickers are high-quality, take appealing product photos, and write detailed descriptions. Determine your pricing, shipping options, and policies. Finally, promote your shop and listings through marketing efforts.
Q: What types of stickers sell well on Etsy?
A: Various types of stickers can sell well on Etsy, including planner and journal stickers, vinyl laptop and tech stickers, plant and nature stickers, food and beverage stickers, pet and animal stickers, inspirational and motivational stickers, travel and adventure stickers, and retro and vintage stickers. It’s important to research and target specific niche markets to cater to the interests and preferences of your potential customers.
Q: How should I price my stickers on Etsy?
A: When pricing your stickers on Etsy, consider factors such as production costs, materials, shipping expenses, and your desired profit margin. Research the market to determine competitive prices and analyze the pricing strategies of successful sticker sellers. Additionally, consider offering bundle deals or discounts for multiple purchases to incentivize customers.
Q: How do I market and promote my sticker shop on Etsy?
A: Marketing and promoting your sticker shop on Etsy involves several strategies. Utilize social media platforms to showcase your sticker designs, engage with your target audience, and drive traffic to your Etsy shop. Collaborate with influencers, bloggers, or relevant communities to expand your reach. Participate in Etsy promotions and sales events, optimize your listings for search visibility, and consider running targeted ad campaigns to increase your shop’s exposure.
Q: How can I stand out among other sticker sellers on Etsy?
A: To stand out among other sticker sellers on Etsy, focus on creating unique and high-quality designs. Offer a variety of sticker types, sizes, and finishes. Pay attention to branding, packaging, and customer service. Optimize your product listings with SEO-friendly titles, tags, and descriptions. Engage with your customers and provide a personalized experience. Continuously analyze the market and stay updated on current trends to ensure your sticker offerings remain fresh and appealing.
Q: How do I handle shipping and fulfillment for my sticker orders?
A: When selling stickers on Etsy, you have the option to handle shipping and fulfillment yourself or use a print-on-demand service. If you choose to handle it yourself, determine the most cost-effective shipping methods and packaging materials. Calculate accurate shipping costs based on the weight and size of your stickers and your customers’ locations. If you use a print-on-demand service, they will typically handle the printing, packaging, and shipping process for you.
Q: How can I provide excellent customer service to my sticker buyers?
A: Providing excellent customer service is crucial for success on Etsy. Respond promptly to customer inquiries and messages. Be friendly, professional, and helpful throughout the purchasing process. Package and ship orders promptly to ensure timely delivery. Consider including a thank-you note or a small extra freebie to show appreciation. Address any issues or concerns quickly and strive to resolve them to the customer’s satisfaction.
Q: How do I evaluate and improve the performance of my sticker shop on Etsy?
A: Regularly monitor the performance of your sticker shop on Etsy by analyzing sales data, customer feedback, and reviews. Identify trends, popular designs, and areas for improvement. Adjust your pricing, listings, and marketing strategies as needed. Stay updated on industry trends and competition to ensure your sticker shop remains competitive and continues to attract customers.